My Daily Reads

My Peeps

Love Around the World

Visitors

Thursday, November 03, 2011

Triple the charm

I've mentioned several times that J-man is in the band. He started out playing the trumpet in 6th grade and this past marching season he was asked to play mellophone. He loves it and I love the fact that he knows how to play different instruments.

Well, he is now going to learn a third!

For this concert season, the band director has asked J-man to learn the french horn. Holy crow... my baby is going to be able to play three different brass instruments! He begins learning today and will play it for competitions and concerts.

He also hopes to join the jazz band so he can play his trumpet again.

Me thinks J-man has found his thang...

3 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Uh, Marni - the Mellaphone is the marching band version of the French horn. giggle.

You can't march with a French Horn so it is elongated into a mellaphone. And they don't have mellaphones in orchestra. They are the same instruments, just look different.

Wallene has been playing French horn in orch. for 4 years and marches with her melaphone. J Man won't have any trouble "learning" the FH because he really already plays it. Which is awesome!

Coffeypot said...

So proud of him (and Bug)and love them both. The never cease to amaze me...much like you did at their age.

Marni said...

Yep... I know all that, Skip. I was in marching/symphonic band. I meant "learn" in the fact that he has to learn a new way to hold the instrument and play it. It is totally different than holding it like a trumpet!

He is left handed,too. He has to learn to play it with his right now, and he mentioned last night how wierd that feels.

All in all, it is a good experience for him. He can bounce between trumpet and mello/french horn any time. I love it!