My Daily Reads

My Peeps

Love Around the World

Visitors

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

A different generation

Bug and I went to run some errands this afternoon while Carl stayed home with J-man. As we drove around town we started talking about one of Bug's favorite subjects - horses.

She is amazed that I had one when I was a girl. My parents bought me a pony, Smokey, and gave him to me Christmas morning. We lived in a subdivision, so to walk out my backyard on that cold morning and see a horse standing there was amazing. Bug loves to hear my stories about Smokey... you can see her own dream of equine ownership shining in her eyes.

Today she asked me if we had any pictures or movies of him. I said, "Yes. I'm sure granny has some in her picture box. And I know she has some film of him somewhere."

Jordan, now all excited, said "Oh! Can we go find the memory stick that it's on and watch the movie?!!!"

I almost wrecked the car. Memory stick? From 30 some odd years ago?

Have you tried to explain reel to reel film to an 8 year old that has never even seen one? I feel so old.

BTW: Speaking of J-man... he is amazing. He has only had one pain pill (the one I gave him when we got home) and one Advil. That is all he has taken for pain.

He just said to his sister, "Bug, can you be a dear and go get me something to drink." Her response? "ummm.... no". She has such sympathy for him -- can you tell?

8 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Man, scary. At least we still have an ancient camera and other pieces of old recording gear/ cameras/ record players, so our kids know what they look like...but not necessarily how they all work!!

I'd love to hear about Smokey. Did you keep him in your subdivision backyard? They won't let me do that in my town...

Marni said...

We tried to keep him at our house, but the neighbors complained. Imagine that... he wound up going to a farm somewhere. I was only 8 or so at the time so I'm not really sure where it was.

I'll have to post about what happened to my pony. He didn't die or anything, but it broke my heart when I found out he wasn't mine anymore.

GrizzBabe said...

HA! Siblings! Makes me wish I had someone to pick on when I was a kid.

Laurie said...

lol! too cute.

break out the ole reel to reel and teach her how to do it old school!

Lisa said...

My parents weren't wealthy enough to afford a reel-to-reel when I was a kid, so now that they've got the money they spend it all on the new fangled stuff like a plasma TV for them and a PlayStation for my kiddo.

Glad J-Man is doing well! Tooth extraction brings back some notsonice memories for me.

Biddie said...

LMAO at Bug for her sympathy and for her memory stick coment!
J-Man is braver than I am. I would still be in bed, moaning and groaning!

Coffeypot said...

Memory sick! That’s funny. Sweet Tea and I were at an antique shop the other day and say a telephone that you had to dial. We can’t wait to get the kiddies up there and let them see it. I also am curious to see what you memories of why you lost Smokey. I’ll let you know if you remembered correctly. Childhood memories are like that. Sweet and fun, but accurate??

I am proud of the little man, too. He came home and started playing the x-box. I would have come home and been in traction for a week. I’m a woose.

ccw said...

The memory stick!! That is priceless.

NSBH found a VHS movie the other day and asked if she could watch it and then I realized that I no longer own something to play VHS tapes.