My Daily Reads

My Peeps

Love Around the World

Visitors

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Beware of the little green box

My friend, DJ Andi, asked me what is the scariest thing that has ever happened to me. Well, it didn't actually happen to me, but I was there to witness it and freak.

Let me set the stage:
  • Carl, the kids, and I went grocery shopping
  • J-man was about 4 and Bug was a little over a year
  • We had finished shopping and were at the checkout counter
  • Bug was in the little seat at the front of the buggy
  • J-man and Carl were at the end of the register (where the bagger usually stands)
  • I was paying

Carl and J-man were talking when I noticed that Carl was looking up at the ceiling. I thought to myself "what on earth is he doing?" J-man was looking up, too, but he had this weird look on his face. Carl keeps bending further and further back. I ask him "Honey, what are you doing?!"

Suddenly, Carl falls to the floor. He is having a seizure!

I have never been around someone having a seizure. I didn't know what to do. I felt SO helpless. I got on my knees next to him all the while yelling for someone to call 911. It was so scary to feel that helpless when someone you love is writhing around on the floor.

From nowhere a gentleman got on the floor with me and told me "he's having a seizure. He'll be ok". He put Carl's head in his lap, took one of the cashier's plastic nametags and placed it between Carl's teeth. Carl was bleeding a bit from where he bit his tongue, but that little bit of blood looked like he was bleeding to death!

I looked around to find my kids... J-man was frozen next to me. (If you were to ask him, I'd be willing to bet this is his first memory) One of the cashiers - a girl in her late teens or early 20s - was holding Bug. I felt SOOOOO helpless! I couldn't help my husband, I couldn't console my kids, I couldn't even HOLD my daughter... I was having a hard time keeping myself under control!

Finally the paramedics arrived to take Carl to the hospital. When they got there he was beginning to come around and was so confused. He wanted to argue with everyone and tried to tell us he was OK. We talked him in to going to the ER (like he had an option) Then I had to do something horrible... I had to put him in the ambulance alone. I had to take the kids home, get the groceries put away and get my dad to come watch the kids... all of this BEFORE I could get to the hospital to find out what was wrong!

That memory of watching the ambulance pull out of the parking lot and going in a different direction will stay with me forever. At the time, I didn't know what was happening to my husband... would I get to see him again? Was this the part of "sickness and in health" or "til death do you part" stuff they talked about in our vows? No matter what, I had to get to him.

Dad arrived in record time and I took off to the hospital. I don't remember much of that drive. I just remember praying and crying.

So. What was wrong?

We still don't know.

He had all kinds of tests run. You name it - they did it. Nothing. One doctor even said that 90% of us will have a seizure for no reason; our brain just mis-fires.

My thoughts? About the time this happened there were reports about some medication that was causing seizures. Carl takes BC headache powder like they are going out of style. To this day he takes 3-4 a day (if not more). He had been having some sinus issues and started taking the BS Sinus. I think that is what caused it. It was the only thing different from his routine or that he was eating/taking. It is the only plausible explanation. AND it was on the list of medications...

He has never taken another BC Sinus and has not had another seizure. He is healthy. Thank God. I don't know what I'd do if I lost my hubby. He's my rock. To see him that vulnerable was something I hope I never witness again.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I first married, I had a seizure in my sleep. Just like your hubby, ran a lot of tests, nothing conclusive. Gave me Tegretol-- $40 a bottle-- couldn't afford that newlywed. So I didn't take it. Another seizure while sleeping. Stayed on it this time.
Pregnant w/ 3rd child. Moving. Got off of them while pregnant. Don't do that. Scared my mom half to death.
Forgot to take them for a week or so. Don't do that either. Figured I'd better stay on them.
They never figured out why I have them, I just do. I'd better take my pills.
Did they give him a prescription? Just a low dose like I have really makes a difference. Good Luck. Save yourself a ER visit next time, just tell his doctor the next day-- go to a neurologist, let him fix him up.

Marni said...

This happened over 8 years ago and he's never had another one. We are lucky I guess.

Bless your heart! Stay on your meds... good luck and thanks for stopping by!

a/k/a Nadine said...

Oh, that is scary! Your poor thing.

When I was a camp counselor, one of my girls had a seizure. It was scary and awful but could've been much worse because half an hour later we would've been in waist deep water fishing.

I felt completely helpless.

Lisa said...

Yikes! Watching someone having a seizure is just awful, but that complete lack of control feeling that comes over you is the absolute worse. Glad it was only that one time.

Marni said...

Erin: If it had been 5-10 minutes later he would have been driving us home from the store! Can you imagine?

Lisa: Me, too. I still think about it when we are in the car. I start running through the "what if" scenarios... uggghhhh!

comebacknikki said...

OMG! That is SO scary!

KLee said...

Thank God he was okay. It is very scary to witness a seizure, and it's even worse when it's a loved one that's going through it.

I can imagine that letting the ambulance go off without you was one of the worst moments in your life. And trying to explain what happened to your frightened babies...yeesh.

I had a student that had a Grand Mal in class last year, and it was much as you describe Carl's seizure. I'm glad that there were people around to give you comfort and strength.

DJ Andi said...

Yeah...that's scary. Glad he hasn't had another one. That had to be the worst feeling seeing the ambulance drive off.

Cup said...

Omigod, Pug! How frightening! Bet it took weeks, months efore you could relax.

Biddie said...

How scary for you and the kids. Kk, J, and I all are prone to seizures. J is diabetic, so seizures are extra scary - they mess with your blood sugar. KK and I both have epilepsy, we're still not sure about J. Stress can bring them on, too.
Thank goodness you weren't driving home when Carl had his seizure. I can imagine how terrified you must have been watching that ambulance pull away with out you.

Nicole said...

Oh, this is just...*shiver* I can't imagine how scary that must have been! I've accompanied my husband to the ER a few times for injuries, but witnessing a seizure must make one feel completely helpless, since the person can't speak to let you know what's going on.

Joy Keaton said...

Here's hoping you never have to witness anything like that again!

My mother had her first seizure (of many) in the middle of the night on Thanksgiving. It was my dog who alerted us - just before it began! Dogs rock! (he's not a Pug, but he has a 'girlfriend' who is a mighty Pug).
seizure story

Old Lady said...

Whew! That was scary.