My Daily Reads

My Peeps

Love Around the World

Visitors

Friday, November 05, 2010

30 Days of Truth: Day 13

A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough times

I'm not going to be all sappy and sentimental on this one. I am going to tell you about the band that got me through high school. If you knew me back then you will know who it is. I had their posters all over my room and in my locker. I had imported LPs playing on my stereo. I bought all the magazines so I could keep up with them.

I had a HUGE crush on the lead singer -- oh wait -- I still do! I think he is an amazing guitar player and makes the most awesome music. And his little lisp is to. die. for.

Who is this band? Let me give you the three names that make the music.
  • Brian Setzer - guitar and lead
  • Slim Jim Phantom - drums
  • Lee Rocker - bass

Oh yes... The Stray Cats!!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE

My love for them began in the 9th grade when I heard Stray Cat Strut for the first time. I have been a rockabilly girl since then. They are my go to band whenever I am down. They are so much fun to listen to and to dance your troubles away.

I wish they were still around. Brian is doing his own thing now - a contemporary big bang kind of thing with the Brian Setzer Orchestra. I don't know what happened to Jim or Lee.

I swear if they are EVER on tour I will move heaven and earth to get tickets. I love, love, love these guys. Seriously. Love them.

Here is video of them playing Bebop A Lula. His voice... swoon.


2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Love, love, love the Stray Cats. Such great music to dance to. Pooldad has met Brian Setzer and says he was a really nice guy.

Coffeypot said...

Phantom - Most recently he has been involved with three main projects; his own roots-rock trio, Dead Men Walking with Kirk Brandon, Mike Peters and Captain Sensible and The Head Cat starring Lemmy and Danny B. Harvey.
He was married to the actress, Britt Ekland, from 1984 to 1992 and has a son, T. J. (born 1988) with her. He currently owns and operates the nightclub, The Cat Club, on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood, California.

Rocker - Since the break-up of The Stray Cats, Rocker has had a solo career and produced recordings independently. In 1985, Rocker, Phantom and Earl Slick formed the group Phantom, Rocker & Slick and recorded two albums for EMI Records titled Phantom, Rocker and Slick and Cover Girl. The song "Men Without Shame" landed Rocker back on MTV and in the charts. For Black Top Records, Rocker released the albums Big Blue (1994) and Atomic Boogie Hour (1995). He has also recorded for Alligator Records. His other albums included Black Cat Bone, released in August 2007, which featured Brophy Dale on guitar and Jimmy Sage on drums. Buzz Campbell (Hot Rod Lincoln and Sha Na Na) joined the band three years ago, and gave a Gretsch guitar sound to the band. In addition to recording and touring, Rocker hosted a radio show on XM Radio, called 'Rumble and Twang with Lee Rocker'. He works in concert promotion with his Texas-based roots music festival, 'Revival Festival'. He released the album, Bulletproof, in 2003.
Rocker and his wife Deborah have two children. The family resides in California.[