My Daily Reads

My Peeps

Love Around the World

Visitors

Thursday, December 04, 2008

Coffee

I did something this morning that made me happy.

NO, not that... get your mind out of the gutter.

I was in line at Dunkin Donuts getting my first fix of caffeine. There was a gentleman in line behind me that had ordered an extra large coffee.

Before I knew what I was doing, I said "I'll get his as well."

He looked behind him then back at me and said "What?"

I picked up his cup, handed it to him and said "Really. I've got it. Merry Christmas. All I ask is that you pay it forward. Do something nice for someone this holiday."

He said thank you and headed out the door sipping his drink. He was smiling.

I'm not telling you this to brag, nor am I looking for kudos. It was a feeling that washed over me as I stood there. Something was yelling in my head to buy his coffee. I struggled against it. One part of me was saying he will think I'm wierd or a stalker of some sort. Another part was saying just DO it! Just open your mouth and say it!

It is a feeling I've never had before.

And now I've never felt so good. I hope he needed it. I hope he spends that measly $2 on someone else. I hope it goes on and on and on... eventually reaching around the world.

10 comments:

SkippyMom said...

I have spent the last couple of days doing the same thing from my home...you will get what I mean later.

It makes you feel so good and for pennies.

I like paying the tolls for those behind me too....it cracks me up when they drive by honking and waving!

Nice job Marni, nice job. :D

KLee said...

That's not silly, that's NICE. That's what this season is supposed to be about. And, even if that guy doesn't pay it forward (even though he should) it made YOU happy.

It's just a sad commentary on these times that it makes you feel odd to do something nice for people. How many other people have been stopped from random acts of kindness because they are afraid of offending someone or for looking like a demented person?

Good for you, no matter WHY you chose to do it. Kindness makes our burdens lighter.

CindyDianne said...

Awh!

Libby's Library said...

I did something like this a couple of weeks ago. I was behind a lady in a wheel chair. After she had paid for her purchases, the "checker" realized that she hand't included her loaf of bread. I told her to just add it to my order, so that she could immediately scan the bread and hand it to the lady. They both seemed shocked, but pleased. Then the lady started going through her purse trying to find the cash to pay me. I told her not to worry, that the bread was on me.
Not a big deal, but I think that it really made the lady's day.

If everybody did something like this every couple of days - what a nicer world we would live in!

Some Guy said...

Awesome. You've inspired me.

Biddie said...

It's amazing what a small act of kindness can do for someone..
I do my best to pay it forward.
When I was 17 and had nowhere to go, my boyfriend's family took me in. They had 6 kids and one sone in law, and they never thought twice about offering me a place to call home.
They changed my life and I promised that I would do the same someday.
15 years ago I took in a 13 year old with no place to stay (sad, long story). She spent a few months with me until her parents got their crap together.
Now, of course, there is Cody.
I know that someday he will pay it forward, too.
That was a sweet thing that you did, Marni. You made someone's day, I am sure.

Martha said...

That's fantastic! I used to pay tolls for the people behind me on the tollway. It was always funny to see the toll attendant wave through the car behind me while they looked totally confused, but I always felt good afterward.

Coffeypot said...

Good job, mouse.

jAMiE said...

Well done, what a kind heart you have to do it!

GrizzBabe said...

That was such a good thing you did. Sounds like you made his day.