My Daily Reads

My Peeps

Love Around the World

Visitors

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Should I do it?

I need to make a decision.

My belly dancing class is having a recital on November 3. All the money raised at the door goes to the Cystic Fibrosis foundation. That is an excellent cause, and I'm proud that the recital is for charity.

But...
That means I have to dance.

In front of people.

Granted... two classes are coming together to do the dance; a total of about 8 ladies. It is only a couple of minutes out of my life. But still...

I have to put on a shiny skirt and a hip scarf. The top is a half shirt thingy which means my flabby white belly will be showing. And when I shimmy the rest will shimmy, too.

And I have to do this in front of people. Strangers.

Carl said he would tell everyone we know to come! I would DIE! But then he said he was kidding.

I know I could stand in the back and try not to look at the audience.

God how embarrassing.

I already told the teacher I probably couldn't make it. She was genuinely disappointed! She asked if I had ever taken dance before... I haven't. When I told her so she was suprised. She said I caught on really fast and look really good. I know she wasn't saying that to get me to perform. She meant it.

That is why I am having trouble deciding.

I'm loving the dance, but I don't know if I'm ready to do it in front of folks. Heck, I don't even practice in front of the kids!

What do I do?!!!!!

15 comments:

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

If you can muster the courage, do it! Just be yourself and don't worry. Have fun! (or not--follow your heart).

Lisa said...

I think you just answered your own question - it's only a couple of minutes, you can stand in back, AND they're strangers! Go for it Marni!!

CindyDianne said...

Dance, dance, dance, live, live, live!

Anonymous said...

My Girl Scout troop went to an International Festival in Mobile. They had a display of Egypt, with belly dancers, I think they were all in a belly dancing class.
This one woman, I think she was maybe the teacher, had so much confidence and poise that we hardly noticed her weight. We were all entranced by her agility and confidence, that my sis-in-law and I wanted to sign up for belly dancing too!! (We live in a small town, so we just settled for Nina and Gina from the library)

You will do fine, hold your head up high, put on a bunch of makeup so no one would recognize you, and dance dance dance!!!! It's also for a good cause. Let us know how it's going!! T

comebacknikki said...

You should totally do it!!!

I felt the same way when I took my first belly dancing class and there was a performance. I was really freaked out about it, but I ended up doing it and it was SO much fun. It's really exhilarating!

Coffeypot said...

Step outside the box, baby. It helps the self-confidence and lets you know you can do anything for a few minuets. It’s not that everyone will be looking at you and only you. You are a tree in the forest. The folks in the audience will be looking at the forest, not a tree. They may look at each tree individually, but for only a second. Besides, doesn’t it defeat the purpose of taking something like this to build confidence and then not do anything with it? Dance, baby, dance! Do it with the kids and get them involved, too. Good luck with Carl, though.

Biddie said...

Do it! Really. You will be so proud of yourself if you do. We will be, too :)

whatevergirl said...

do it! You didn't do all that dancing at 6 Flags for nothing!!

katy said...

you have to do it, you can do it, you have done so well, you will do it, we will be shouting for you and you will enjoy it, you have worked hard so go show everyone what you are made off

Marni said...

You guys are all so wonderful and supportive. I will probably go ahead and do it - even though just typing that makes me want to throw up!

Whatevergirl: Do I know you outside of blogland? How did you know I danced a lot at 6 Flags? Did I mention that somewhere? AHHHHHH!!!!!

KK said...

Dance as if no one is watching.

Shake your groove-thing, momma!

GrizzBabe said...

Do it! DO IT!!

And have hubby take pictures.

chelene said...

I heard the song "I Hope You Dance" on the way to work this morning so I'm passing that sentiment on to you! :)

a/k/a Nadine said...

Like everyone else, I hope you get the courage to dance. Having said that, I doubt I would be able to do it... Maybe I need to take some bellydancing classes!

Canadian flake said...

I am sure you will be great...have fun and just try to forget there are people watching....hopefully it will be a good time for you. Good luck!!!