My Daily Reads

My Peeps

Love Around the World

Visitors

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Disappointment

I want to protect my kids. I want to make sure their little hearts are never broken. They should love and be loved in a way that makes fairy tales pale in comparision.

Why? Because they deserve it.

Last night Bug attended her school's Valentines dance. We'll call it a dance only because they play music. Most of the kids were under the age of 7 and all they did was run around the gym chasing one another. The "older" kids - the ones in 4th and 5th grades - walked around the perimeter of the gym singing songs and flirting with whoever passed them by. Bug and her friends were in the "middle" age... they danced, ran, walked the perimeter... tried to act older than 8.

A little boy - Nate - asked her to the dance. She has liked this kid for two years. He is so cute with his brown, skater boy hair cut and big blue eyes. I met him once at a birthday party and can see why Bug has such a crush on him. He is cute!

They have been making plans in regards to this dance for the past couple of weeks. He said he would meet her for the spaghetti dinner at 6 and then they would go to the dance together.

But what was her disappointment?

He didn't show up.

She looked for him all night. She was so excited when her girlfriends came, but she still wanted to see Nate. She occasionally hung out by the door, or snuck little glances that way, looking for him.

I could see it on her face when she realized he wasn't coming. It broke my heart.

When we left I asked her how she felt. She said she was disappointed. I told her it was OK to feel that way, but she can't jump all over him in the morning. She needs to ask him if everything is OK. I told her that his parents probably changed their minds and that he couldn't control it.

I wish she didn't have to go through heartbreak and disappointment. I know it is a part of growing up and maturing. She needs these life experiences to become a stronger adult - even if they are starting in the third grade.

She'll be fine.

7 comments:

Biddie said...

It starts early, doesn't it?
I know the feeling, wanting to protect the kids from ALL pain and heartache. Maybe this little bump will prepare her for the bigger ones to come. It sucks, but the bigger ones WILL come. Don't worry, she'll be fine. She's got the support of a reaaly great family.

Coffeypot said...

Where's my pictures? Give her a hug and a kiss for me and let her know it was Nate’s loss. Oh, yeah! Where’s my pictures?

Marni said...

I hugged her last night and said "See what I mean when I tell you the only man you can rely on is your daddy?" She just smiled.

Your pictures are coming. Hush.

katy said...

if only we could wrap them up in cotton wool until they reach adult hood wouldn't it be great! but no as you say we learn as we live

CindyDianne said...

Oh, I know. I can't barely stand it when something happens to disappoint my boy and girl.

KLee said...

I know how heart-breaking it is to not be able to protect your child from the harsh reality that is the world sometimes. It truly sucks. I hate that Bug was disappointed. Has she heard from the boy since? Maybe there was an extenuating circumstance. I'd like to think that, rather than the idea that he deliberately stood Bug up. Give her a hug from me!

Ann said...

Poor kid. I really hope he had a good reason for not being there.
Sounds like you handled it pretty well though. You can't protect her from every hurt, but you can certainly do what you can to cushion the blow.