My Daily Reads

My Peeps

Love Around the World

Visitors

Friday, January 05, 2007

A geeky pleasure

If you know me, you know I am a TV junkie -- especially when it comes to reality TV. I love it.

There are some shows I can't stomach. The "match making" shows like The Bachelor make my skin crawl. BUT there are exceptions. There is one show that I love and it is like no other. It is Beauty and the Geek.

This show is the brainchild of Ashton Kutcher and the third season started this week. It is brilliant! Six geeks (and they are GEEKS) are paired up with six gorgeous women. They have to complete tasks that take them outside their comfort zone and learn to work, and live, together.

The concept sounds the same as other shows, right? What makes this one different?

During the first episode the guys and girls meet. They judge one another based on looks. Typical. The girls are turned off by the guys. The guys are too shy to meet and/or talk to the girls. It is very uncomfortable.

BUT

By the end of the season, each group has learned from one another. The guys gain confidence around women. They can talk to them and be themselves. They gain pride in who they are and are not ashamed of themselves. The girls learn to look beyond appearances. They have feelings for these guys and it gives them a lot of maturity as well. The girls step outside their shallowness and do things they normally wouldn't do.

It is awesome! Watch this show. You WILL be hooked. And you will never look at geeks the same way again.

My reality shows are about to start up again -- be prepared. It's time for the commentary!

5 comments:

Cup said...

I've never seen the show ... but I love geeky men. Have any of the couples from previous seasons lasted longer than the show?

Marni said...

I don't think any of them have become couples... maybe one or two have "had feelings" for each other but it has never gone beyond the show.

This show focuses primarily on building self esteem and breaking down the stereotypes. The girls learn to see geeks in a new way and the boys learn to talk to women. It doesn't focus on hook-ups and long term relationships. I think that is why I like it so much.

Biddie said...

I am waiting for Lost, Heroes, and Crossing Jordan to start again. Until then, I watch Flavor of Love 2. It's like a train wreck. I can't NOT watch, but I can't turn away.......

Some Guy said...

I'm with you, Marni. I think this is one of the rare reality shows with some heart. Has the new season already started? I haven't been paying attention.

GrizzBabe said...

I have always had a soft spot for geeks. My moto is "geeks always get the girl." It may take them a while but usually when they gain a little confidence and start their very lucrative careers, they have more hooch than they know what to do with.