My Daily Reads

My Peeps

Love Around the World

Visitors

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I have a problem

It isn't a bad problem to have nor is it illegal. I'm not addicted to drugs, alcohol or sex (although two out of three ain't bad!). Most women I know love shoe shopping -- that, for me, isn't it either. So what is my problem? Books... I love them... I can't get enough of them... I have so many at my house that I have now started selling them on Amazon just to make room for more!

Back in the 7th grade my mom and I lived in an apartment in Marietta. There was a 7-11 on the corner and every week I would go in there and find the trashiest horror book I could find and spend hours reading it in my room, on the bus, or at the pool. It was an obsession that lives on. I have migrated away from those books, but still love a good horror story every once in a while.

What makes a good book? I like one that grabs me in the first couple of chapters and immerses me in a new world. I like to fall in love with the characters and become a part of their "lives."
My favorite detectives are Kinsey Milhone (Sue Grafton's Letter series) and Lucas Davenport (from John Sandford's Prey series). They are two people that I would love to have in my life for the sheer excitement of what they do!

I have a wish list of books I would like to read; right now it stands at about 59 titles. I go to Barnes and Noble to search out a title or two from this list, but always wind up in the "Reduced for Sale" section and leave with 2 or 3 titles I've never heard of. Those books are usually the best ones I have ever read! My list, however, has a range from autobiography (A Lotus Grows in the Mud - Goldie Hawn) to historical reasearch (Water for Elephants - Sarah Gruen and Mad Mary Lamb - Susan Tyler Hitchcock) to just plain interesting titles (Memories of My Melancholy Whores - Gabriel Garcia Marquez). I read reviews about books and if they sound interesting, they are added to my list.

I can't help being obsessed! After my surgery I was told I would lose one addiction for another. I didn't think it would happen, but I guess I did. I think trading a food addiction for words isn't a bad trade -- even though the cost is pretty much the same.

Below is a list of some of my most recent favorites. Please let me know what you have read lately, and if it sounds interesting, I'll add it to my wish list.
  • Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - Lisa See: This is a story of two young Chinese girls that are made "forever friends". They go through foot binding, love, betrayal and life together. It is a great book!
  • Marley and Me - John Grogan: For animal lovers everywhere - especially dogs. This book will make you laugh, cry, and remember all of the animals you have loved and lost.
  • The Hidden Diary of Marie Antionette - Carolly Erickson: Fantastic book written in the form of Marie's diary. I don't know how much truth is in the book, but it was fascinating! I loved it so much I have read almost all of Ms. Erickson's books now.
  • The Mercy of Thin Air - Ronlyn Dominique: The story of a young woman that passes away in the 1920's, she remains in the "in between" trying to find her lost love. She haunts a young couple in the 90s and helps them through some tough times. Very sweet book!
  • Vanishing Acts - Jody Picoult: This author has become one of my all time favorites. I am trying to read all of her books now. She takes current events and gives them twists - her characters are all well rounded and seem like old friends by the end of the read.
  • The Cell - Stephen King: No list of mine can go without adding a SK book. He is the best. I have ready EVERYTHING of his and several more than once. I get goose bumps when I see that he has a new book coming out and have to restrain myself from rushing out the day it is released. I savor every word and experience... to this day I will only stand on a dock with my feet on the boards (no open space between the board for me!) , nor will I sleep with a closet door open. I am afraid of those monkeys with the cymbals and I think twice before I answer my cell phone. I love his form of terror and I think he is brilliant!

That is all for now. I think I have rambled on enough. Please let me know your favorite books! I'm always looking to add to my collection.

I think I may start posting book reviews after I finish a book; that way I can keep you in the loop and get feedback on any new stories out there.

1 comment:

Cup said...

I'd love to read your book reviews! I'm going to check out some on your list.

I have a summer books recommendation post that I hope to post in the next few days ...